Saturday, January 31, 2009

and then there was Obie.....


As I continued to lay on the stone path listening intently to Grayston educate me about the history of the doorways, I could hear the soft rustling of leaves behind my back. Somewhere in the back of my mind I assumed it was probably one of many squirrels or rabbits that frequent the garden..besides, I was way too intent on his narrative to pay much attention.

Suddenly I felt something whiz past my ear! (Wow! insects fly really fast when your beneath them on the ground I thought as I intently listened to Grayston continue with his lesson.) A few seconds later came another whiz! and then another! and then suddenly a small stone bounced right off the end of my nose and landed behind the overturned wheelbarrel! " That was definately NOT an insect." I mumbled outloud to Grayston.

Grayston of course had seen it coming and ducked just in time to miss it. Now I knew it wasn't thrown by any squirrels or rabbits, but it wasn't until I cautiously turned my head around that I saw another little wee being standing just behind my back.

He didn't exactly appear to be a happy one either, as he had quite the disgruntled look on his face. "Grayston... I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for you and those stones! Do YOU have any idea how uncomfortable it is standing on top of a ladder for hours?? Wet mortar dripping down my arms, and now it's dried all over my tools! I'll have to make new ones before we can continue, what were you thinking???" he demanded!

Grayston shrugged his small shoulders and then quickly turned the same shade of red as his little pointy hat. " I'm sorry Obie, I guess time got away from me. You see, I accidentally ran into Miss Cam" and then covering his mouth with his hand he whispered "You know,... the human... the one Wol is always telling us about that is building the stone path through his Garden?"

A few seconds later the little Gnome walked around the front side of me. I could see he had a small metal trowel caked in dried mortar and more down the front of his overalls and across the tops of his shoes. Even his long white beard and pointy red hat had small splotches of dried mortar, and I couldn't help but smile as I looked at him. However, with a very dignified expression he introduced himself. "I am Obie Cuzican, Official Ruler of the Kingdom of Gnomelfays from the land of Dremomyn." and clearing his thoat he added, " Acknowledged by King Wolubnauv himself in January of 2007 !!"

" Gnome ul whats?" I repeated... Oh my, dare I should even ask? Because I could tell he was quite irritated with my presence in the garden.
"Gnomelfays" he proudly repeated the word for me. " Oh? No mulf a's"..I politely said. I'd never heard the name before! I'm certain he could sense my curiosity and raising one eyebrow he proceeded to smugly correct my improper pronunciation of the word. "We are called Gnomelfays....and that is PROPERLY pronounced... KNOW....MELF...AYS. It really shouldn't be that difficult to say you know, we are part Gnome, part Elf and part Fairy. There is no 'uf' in the pronunciation thank you." and looking quite proud of himself he leaned over and smiled right at me.

2 comments:

The Whimsical Goblin said...

Im so glad that I found the Gnomelfays Blog. :) Missed seeing them :)

Cam said...

awwwwww how sweet of you to comment and miss them! I am so far behind these days with things. Not just the Gnomelfays and the blog, but everything!
I can't begin to tell you how much it means that you came by and had a look...more than you'll ever know! Thanks sweety!